Market Place.

I love the colour, the diversity, the unique, handmade treasures and the fun and life of the market place. 


In Australia, markets are wonderful but not always very often. I could quite happily be part of a market each month. I love meeting people who value handmade and it is a joy to send my handmade goods to a loving home. I do love the opportunity to put my handcrafts on display, to fill a table with the work of my hands, my imagination and my heart.


But in Morocco the Marrekech souks are an incredible part of daily life, a labyrinth of narrow lane ways of stalls with an incredibly colourful and diverse range of goods. I love the glass lanterns, the beads, the woven cushion covers, the tea sets, the spices and the decorated tiles.


Lanterns


Spices

Beaded jewellery

And, every night the main square, Djemaa el-fna plaza, is filled with open air restaurants roasting meats and preparing incredible meals plus a whole lot of chaos of tourists, locals, buskers, horse & cart and bikes. Mmm, tonight we ate a one of the food stalls - yum! I love the smell of the BBQ's and the noises of the snake charmers and the local musicians.

I am missing a local market while I am away overseas - the Maribyrnong Makers Market [MMM]  in Seddon on the 17th September. My lovely sister Bec is helping me have a stall there even though I am far away. I am excited to be part of a market, in heart if not in person! I was fortunate for my work as Been & Done to be showcased by the MMM in their newsletter and through the local paper, the Footscray Star in the lead up to the Market. 

I look forward to taking home some ideas and inspiration from the Marrakech souks to incorporate into my handmade creations. Love this place!

Comments