Small is Beautiful.

Economics - is it something that interests you, or a topic you avoid?

Whether we love it or hate it, we each interact with economic factors everyday. I think the more we are intentional about how our economies work, the better the outcomes will be for us as individuals and as a community.

If you were to read just one book about economics, I would absolutely encourage you to spend some time reading 'Small is Beautiful: a study of economic as is people mattered' by E.F. Schumacher.


I discovered this book years ago as part of my community and international development study. But was reminded again of it this week from the Guardian Poverty Matters Blog. When this book was written nearly forty years ago, it was profound as it described how economics could be transformed to transform lives.

I like the challenge of thinking beyond what I know. I value those those who ask big questions, and come up with in-depth thoughts in response. I need to read to see beyond that which I currently believe is possible. I value being challenged to live differently, to live better and more holistically. I think it's time I re-read this book, there are so many ideas that I need time to chew over. People do matter, and if we integrate it as a value in our economic structures then the world can be a richer place.

If you take the time to read Small is Beautiful, let me know what stood out to you about it.

Comments

  1. I read this book in 2010 but i think i should read it again. Thanks for posting this erica. When i read it, this passage jumped out at me and it makes more sense to me now because of what i am studying. I hope you like.

    "To talk about the future is useful only if it leads to action now. And what can we do now, while we are still in the position of ‘never having had it so good’? To say the least-which is already very much- we must thoroughly understand the problem and begin to see the possibility of evolving a new life-style, with new methods of production and new patterns of consumption: a life-style designed for permanence"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And I love that you have dropped by to visit my blog. Thanks! E xx